The gO! Running Group is a Roseville based recreational running group that aims to provide group running opportunities for runners of all abilities. Although our focus is primarily on 5K to marathons, we have members who have completed triathlons (including Ironman events) and ultras. We train on both roads and trails. We currently meet three times per week - Sunday mornings and Tuesday/Thursday evenings.

Monday, August 31, 2009

gO! Runner of the Day- Troy Christensen


I am 36 and I am currently living in Citrus Heights with my wife Wendy and her two cats. I have been working for Delta Dental in Rancho Cordova in the mailroom for three years; while I am not the biggest fan the management side of my job, I really enjoy the many projects that I have been involved in. Until recently I was a student at University of Phoenix studying Business Finance when I decided that transfer to a Computer Science degree at National University where I will begin in October. Like running, starting over will be a new adventure and I looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead.

Growing up, I had a good friend who was always busy training for races; I must admit that I was very jealous of his many medals, plaques, ribbons and trophies. I was always interested in running and even attempted to train with him on several occasions; each time finding myself frustrated and/or injured because I was trying to train as his pace. I guess you could say that I gave up on my dream and sat down on the couch. In March of this year, I had lunch with another friend who had just finished her first half marathon (the Shamrock’n). Like me she was not a runner, so I asked her how she was able to do it; she said she joined a training group through Fleet Feet of Sacramento. After looking into it I found No Boundaries and though, heck I can do this; what is 3.1 miles? After the first few runs I had what I thought was the answer…PURE HELL!!! Early on, I was able to run only a minute at a time and every muscle in my body ached for two days following. It took a lot of encouragement and a whole lot of mental toughness, but I made it through and actually starting having fun. I just didn’t realize how much I was enjoying running until my first three mile run in the pouring rain. I am currently running on the marathon training plan; however, due to upcoming changes my life I am not sure I will be able to complete one this year. If things go as planned, my first marathon will be the San Diego Rock n’ Roll Marathon next year.

Outside of running I enjoy spending as much time outdoors as possible. A perfect week for me would be spent backpacking into a remote lake with good friends spending the week fishing, hiking and living off the land. When I can’t get away, I spend most of my time working (which I consider a hobby), reading and learning. I typically read about one book a week, on subjects of business, finance, biographies or mountain climbing. When I finally do finish my degree I plan to trek to Mount Everest and climb to Advanced Base Camp at the top of the Khumba Icefall.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating. Interesting life Troy. Good job on all you have accomplished.

    I love this feature, Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feature too, and I love Troy's quote, "heck I can do this; what is 3.1 miles? After the first few runs I had what I thought was the answer…PURE HELL!!!"

    ReplyDelete