The gO! Running Group is a Roseville based recreational running group that aims to provide group running opportunities for runners of all abilities. Although our focus is primarily on 5K to marathons, we have members who have completed triathlons (including Ironman events) and ultras. We train on both roads and trails. We currently meet three times per week - Sunday mornings and Tuesday/Thursday evenings.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Casa's Comments

B+ (be positive!) or Fail

Inevitably, all competitive runners reach a point in a race where the body fatigues and the mind must take control. What you do at this time usually separates a moderate performance from an optimal performance.
The biggest defeater of mental performance is a negative thought process. When you fatigue, you must find a way to “live in the moment.” Do not allow negative thoughts.
There are two methods of thought processing: association or dissociation; internal or external; tune in or tune out. Some people like to analyze their comfort level: “How arm my legs feeling? How is my breathing?” Others like to checkout: look at their surroundings or sing a song in their head to avoid thinking about the discomfort. You must find something or things that work for you. No matter what, it must be a positive thought. Practice it. Have a plan before you reach the point when you need it.

Here then, is my Top 10 things to think about when you feel like giving in:

#10 “I feel good enough right now that I don’t have to start playing mind games yet”

#9 “I’ve earned this pace with consistent training and diligent workouts” (Try to think about all of times you ran when it would have been easier not to.)

#8 “If I had to accelerate right now, could I? Is there still some ‘snap’ in my legs? Yes. I’m O.K.”

#7 “I’m comfortable with being uncomfortable. I know this is temporary.”

#6 Look around. “I can run with these people near me.”

#5 “I know I can run this pace for another half mile” (or quarter mile or until the next mile marker). Focus only on that segment, then, repeat.

#4 “I am slowly going to close the gap on the runner’ in the red cap’ ahead of me.” (then, pick someone new)

#3 “I’m going to Boston!” (or other goal like sub 2 hour half)

#2 “I have invested a great deal of effort up to this point (think of the mileage you’ve already covered), and I going to continue this effort.”

And the ultimate…

#1 “Josh believes I can do this, so I know I can!”

1 comment:

  1. I like to remind my self that this is only going to hurt for x amount of time more, but the accomplishment will last forever.

    ReplyDelete